Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Altec 604-8G

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Altec 604-8G

    This ad immediately caught my interest today but I couldn't help but chuckle when I read it. By the way, what language do they speak in Ontario?

    "THE DRIVER HAS A SMALL HOLE AND THE OTHER HAS A LITTLE DAMAGE ON THE CONE I STICK A PIECE PAPER TO FIXED IT"

    ALTEC 604-8G COAXIAL ALNICO V MAGNETIC W COVER-MODEL 17 - eBay (item 230432480489 end time Feb-09-10 16:43:29 PST)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8G

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    ...By the way, what language do they speak in Ontario?
    Have you never watched Terrence & Phillip? :laffingassoff:

    6a00c22521073e8e1d00fad695b6260005 500pi
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8G

    Who doesn't love those flatulent rascals?:2thumbsup:

    Those aren't far from Toronto, very possible the seller's first language is not English.

    They appear to have seen some hard riding over the years. 17's are my first true Altec love 'tis a shame to see em when they've acquired so many scars.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member voice of the theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2009
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8G

    Yeah, their condition is unfortunate--I wonder what he means by this quote? "I ADD A RESISTER AT EXTERNAL TO MAKE THE SOUND MORE SMOOTH".
    He does have some cool links in his ad but I don't think I'll be asking him to repair any of my speakers any time soon "ONE OF THE DRIVER HAS A SMALL HOLE AND THE OTHER HAS A LITTLE DAMAGE ON THE CONE I STICK A PIECE PAPER TO FIXED IT". I don't GPA has to worry about any competition from him in the repair business.....

    I just watched the Terrance and Phillip "movie" on youtube--funny stuff!! I think I still prefer Bob and Doug McKenzie however.... I have family in Niagara Falls, Ontario and I'm about a three hour drive from Toronto--I go there for concerts and my wife loves to shop there--I also keep an eye on canuckaudiomart.com for Altecs--they seem to be popular up there. For example, Speakers Altec Santiago 878B PRICE REDUCED!!! - Canuck Audio Mart or this link ALTEC STONEHENGE I ORG! OWNER 1974 RARE! NICE! - Canuck Audio Mart or this one Canuck Audio Mart Canada's Largest Online Hifi, Audio & Home Theater Classifieds Even though the exchange rate is not the best (their dollar is now worth about 94% of ours), you can usually haggle a better deal if you tell the seller you'll be paying in US dollars....

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 604-8G


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8G

    Quote Originally Posted by voice of the theater View Post
    Yeah, their condition is unfortunate--I wonder what he means by this quote? "I ADD A RESISTER AT EXTERNAL TO MAKE THE SOUND MORE SMOOTH".
    Not uncommon at all.

    Many solid state amps are way over-damped. Series resistance can aid this.

    GM would be our resident expert, I refer you to Wiki:

    Damping factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    As far as repairing cones, I fixed many torn cones on the back side. I finally settled on Tyvek and rubber cement, but have seen numerous different repairs. Adds a small amount of mass to the cone and the specs will change slightly, but doesn't sound bad and if you are poor is way cheaper than a recone.


    Sounds to me like he is basically competent, doesn't sound like he is French speaking, I would second the Asian transplant guess.

    Comes down to what his reserve is, they need signifgant work but are probably usable. I would probably consider a thousand decent, would pass if higher. That would leave room for recones and a fram. Might as well do the magnet charge since they are Alnico.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8G

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    ..... I finally settled on Tyvek and rubber cement....
    Oooo Tyvek, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking of using a used dryer sheet. I've got a couple of drivers that I'd like to repair. One being a Magnavox that one of my kittens jumped on, and the other being that Radian/Altec coax I talked about getting in the thread I started yesterday.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member zelgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 25th, 2002
    Posts
    302
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 604-8G

    "By the way, what language do they speak in Ontario?"

    Chances are that if the seller lives in Markham their first language is not English. They have a large Asian population and many hi end audio types. It certainly isn't the mid-west US or other less culturally diverse areas. They do have a mall with several stores that sell tube amps and have display models in the windows. Different strokes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.